Little by little I am working in coral and a berry color to the kitchen. The painting works perfectly on the wall, but I need a few more items to be my pops of color. I am starting with what I already have and see where I end up. This time I painted a little dish that holds my dish washing wand and my serving spoons.
I find that I get an idea in my head, and I don’t want to go out and buy anything, I just want to start! Right away! No wasting time! No sitting around! So I start painting and changing things right then. This might be a good thing and a bad thing. I’m also impatient when it comes to letting things dry the right amount of time. I just hate waiting for the final project. That’s why when I did the kitchen painting, I let it dry overnight, and I left the house during the afternoon so I wouldn’t be tempted. All that to say, I started painting other things in my kitchen while the canvas painting was drying.
I started with my spoons. How did I get this many wooden spoons?! I don’t even like wooden spoons. I feel I can never get them clean enough. But they look pretty boring, so lets jazz them up a bit.
See? Pretty boring. Bring out the blue painter’s tape and get going! I just eye balled it to make sure the spoons looked relatively the same in terms of how much of the handle I was painting.
My drying method? Well, you can’t just lay them down anywhere or they would stick. So naturally I stuck them in the top drawer of my craft dresser and let them dry there. I did several coats to make sure they were completely covered. The next day I took them outside to spray a clear coat of polyurethane on them so the paint wouldn’t wash off.
I made sure to cover up the spoon end of the spoons. I wasn’t sure if it was safe to spray the part that would touch food, so I played it safe. I bought the product because look at that label- “drys in 15 minutes”. My kind of stuff. I waited 15 minutes and took them inside to dry further overnight before I put them back in the kitchen.
I know, I know. It’s getting crazy. Wild. I did the same procedure to my little dish. I painted several coats of acrylic paint until I was happy with the coverage, then took it outside to spray it down. It worked pretty well! Now I just need more things to paint…..