Where did all of this anger toward oil-based paint come from? (Besides all the fumes I have been breathing in from all this painting?!) From painting our bookshelf. It’s a nice bookshelf, just needed a bit of sprucing up. Matt’s dad built this shelf when he was in college so it would perfectly fit his stereo system. Pretty sweet if you ask me. And he was willing to give it up so we could have a bookshelf! Thanks Papa O! Here is what it used to look like:
Matt took it all apart so we could paint it white and black. Our new computer desk from IKEA is black, but then has two white drawers so we wanted the bookshelf to match that. We started with an old can of white paint (I’m pretty sure we found it in the shed when we bought the house…. but it’s free, right?) and a gallon of black oil-based paint that we also got for free (they sent us a coupon in the mail for a free gallon of paint.) So far the project has been FREE. Except for all of our TIME! yikes. Let’s break down the steps:
1) Take apart the entire bookshelf
2) Sand the stain off each piece
3) Prime the wood
4) Start painting
– We started painting outside in our lovely carport. The only problem we had was the wind. It was such a windy day that a TON of dirt and sand and leaves blew right into the carport and on our wet paint.
5) Back to sanding/brushing off the pieces to get the debris off the paint
6) Start painting the first coat again
– Each time we wanted to paint a coat, we pushed out kitchen table to to the corner of our kitchen, spread an old sheet on the floor, and painted out side of each piece after dinner. We would let it dry overnight and pick it all up in the morning before we ate breakfast.
7) Decided we didn’t like the oil paint (or cleaning the brushes after using the paint) and went out to buy black latex-acrylic paint.
8) Sanded each piece again to get the oil-based paint off
9) Primed each piece again with an oil-based primer so when we painted over it with latex-acrylic paint, the oil paint wouldn’t peak through.
We have been repeating step 6 for the past week or so. Every night, we drag the sheet out, take out the paint, the brushes, and go to town painting one more coat on one side of each piece. So, here is what it looks like now:
For now, I am still pulling out the old sheet, the pieces, and my paint each night to continue this project! This bookshelf better look PERFECT when Matt puts it back together….